- 1 lb (0.5 Kg) lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (341 mL) corn
- 1 pkg (35 g) low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 can (398 mL) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) low sodium chicken broth (or water)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) long grain brown rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
Fresh tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, taco chips
In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onions and peppers over medium-high heat. Drain any fat left behind.
Add the beans, corn taco seasoning, garlic and salt and cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in tomatoes, milk, chicken broth and rice. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then cover and reduce to low heat.
Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring once.
Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in cheese and serve with optional toppings as desired.
Sponsored by Dairy Farmers of Manitoba
|Nutritional Information (per serving)|
|Vitamin A||29.3%||Vitamin C||67.8%|
*The percentage of calcium is based on the Osteoporosis Canada’s daily calcium requirement for people under 50 years of age of 1000 mg.
Osteoporosis Canada’s position on nutrition for healthy bones focuses on calcium and vitamin D while stressing a well-balanced diet which includes fiber and whole grains, vitamins and minerals and protein.
Tip: Got leftovers? Wrap them up in a flour tortilla with additional toppings and shredded cheese for an on-the-go lunch.