⅓ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp EACH salt and dried thyme leaves
¼ tsp EACH pepper and crushed dried rosemary leaves
1 lb (500 g) Stewing Beef Cubes or Boneless Shank, Short Ribs or Simmering Steak (e.g. Blade or Cross Rib), cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup chopped leeks, onion or shallot
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups coarsely chopped Portobello mushrooms (1 inch chunks)
½ cup dry red wine
2 ½ cups beef broth or stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
Easy Glazed Carrots (recipe follows)
Pastry Croutons (recipe follows)
Ordinary beef? I don’t think so. This Sumptuous Stew is another deliciously unconventional beef recipe. Time to Re-Think your beef!
- Combine flour, salt, thyme, pepper and rosemary in shallow bowl. Coat beef cubes lightly with flour mixture, reserving any remaining flour mixture to thicken sauce.
- Heat oil over medium heat in deep heavy skillet or sauté pan. Working in batches, brown beef cubes on all sides; remove from pan. Add leeks, garlic and mushrooms to pan; cook, stirring often until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Gradually stir in wine, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Cook until reduced by half. Stir in broth and tomato paste; bring to boil. Add browned beef and reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1½ hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat from pan; keep warm.
- Gradually stir 3 tablespoons cold water into reserved seasoned flour mixture until smooth. Gradually whisk into bubbling sauce. Cook and stir until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper; add beef back to pan to coat with sauce. Serve with Easy Glazed Carrots and Pastry Croutons.
- Glazed Carrots: In large skillet, add 4 cups diagonally sliced or mini carrots (about 1 lb/500g) and ¼ cup EACH water and orange juice, and 2 tbsp liquid honey. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook about 2 minutes, until liquid has evaporated. Add 2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp minced fresh chives or parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently to melt butter and coat.
- Puff Pastry Croutons: Roll out half a (397 g) package, defrosted purchased puff pastry to ¼ inch thick. Place pastry on parchment lined baking sheet and brush with cream. Using a knife, score pastry into crouton-sized shapes. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 15 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden.
Sponsored by ThinkBeef.ca
|Nutritional Information (per serving)|
*The percentage of calcium is based on the Osteoporosis Canada’s daily calcium requirement for people under 50 years of age of 1000 mg.
Osteoporosis Canada’s position on nutrition for healthy bones focuses on calcium and vitamin D while stressing a well-balanced diet which includes fibre and whole grains, vitamins and minerals and protein.