2.5 lb (1.3 kg) Beef Pot Roast (e.g. Cross Rib, Blade or Brisket)
2 tbsp jerk seasoning blend, divided
1 tbsp oil
1 cup no-salt added beef broth
2 onions, thinly sliced
3 sprigs thyme (or ½ tsp dried thyme leaves)
2 bay leaves
1½ lb (750 g) carrots, scrubbed and cut on a bias into 1-inch chunks
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 can (14 oz/398 mL) lite coconut milk
½ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp each salt and pepper (approx.)
3 cloves garlic, crushed and divided
2 bay leaves
1 sprig thyme (or ¼ tsp dried thyme leaves)
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup brown rice
1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no-salt added red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp oil
10 cups coarsely chopped kale or collard greens, ribs removed
A traditional pot roast is transformed with tropical flavours like allspice, cinnamon and coconut milk. The slow cooker and shortcut Rice & Peas method means this recipe can be a great dinner option any night of the week. Brown rice and wilted greens provide the fibre boost for this meal. This meal provides a whopping 109% of your daily zinc needs.
- Roast: Coat roast evenly with 1 tbsp jerk seasoning. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or stock pot set over medium-high heat. Sear roast on all sides until browned. Transfer to slow cooker*. Top with onions, thyme and bay leaves. Stir remaining jerk seasoning into broth; pour over roast. Cook, on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 8 hours, until fork-tender. *Alternatively, you can cook in the oven: keep roast in the Dutch oven, cover and cook in a 325°F oven for 3 hours.
- Toss carrots with flour and add to slow cooker (or Dutch oven) during the last 45 minutes of cooking.
- Sides – Rice: In a medium saucepan, combine coconut milk, ½ cup water, allspice, salt, pepper, 2 cloves garlic, bay leaves, thyme and cinnamon stick. Set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed. Discard bay leaves, thyme stems (if using) and cinnamon stick. Stir in kidney beans. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Sides – Greens: Heat oil with remaining garlic in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add greens; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, tossing occasionally, for 5 minutes or until wilted. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Serve sliced pot roast with Rice & Beans and wilted greens. Spoon sauce and carrots over roast.
Sponsored by ThinkBeef.ca
|Nutritional Information (per serving)|
*The percentage of calcium is based on the Osteoporosis Canada’s daily calcium requirement for people under 50 years of age of 1000 mg.
Osteoporosis Canada’s position on nutrition for healthy bones focuses on calcium and vitamin D while stressing a well-balanced diet which includes fibre and whole grains, vitamins and minerals and protein.
Substitute kale with Swiss chard or mustard greens.
Add 1 scotch bonnet to the broth with the pot roast for a spicy gravy.