A new family favourite that the kids will want to continue making when they move out! Take 2 favourite meals and jam them together to cook up a family meal in under 30 minutes. Perogies take the place of traditional mashed potatoes in this one-pot meal.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each dried thyme and sage leaves
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen diced mixed vegetables, thawed slightly
- 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 24 frozen potato and cheese perogies
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and thinly sliced green onions (optional)
In a large deep heatproof non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef, onion, garlic, thyme and sage for about 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Stir in mixed vegetables to coat.
In a small bowl, whisk together broth, flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour into skillet and stir to coat. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Place perogies into beef mixture in a concentric circle over top. Cover skillet with lid and simmer gently for about 12 minutes or until perogies are tender and puffed. Uncover and sprinkle cheese over perogies.
Place skillet about 6 inches (15 cm) under preheated broiler for about 4 minutes until cheese is melted and top is light golden. Let cool slightly before serving dolloped with sour cream and green onions, if desired.
Sponsored by ThinkBeef
|Nutritional Information (per serving)|
|Vitamin A||6%||Vitamin C||5%|
The percentage of calcium is based on the Osteoporosis Canada’s daily calcium requirement for people under 50 years of age of 1000 mg.
Osteoporosis Canada’s position on nutrition for healthy bones focuses on calcium and vitamin D while stressing a well-balanced diet which includes fiber and whole grains, vitamins and minerals and protein.