If you’re looking for a vegetarian dish to serve to family and friends, this one is truly a winner!
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp mild curry powder or paste
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp each ground cloves and cinnamon
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 package (14 oz/400 g) paneer, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable broth
- 1 large yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- Mango chutney (optional)
- In a large, shallow saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic, carrots, onion and ginger for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in curry powder, garam masala, cumin, cloves, cinnamon and cayenne (if using); sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in paneer, tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in yellow pepper, chickpeas, peas and salt; simmer, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cilantro just before serving. Serve with chutney, if desired.
Tip: Paneer is a fresh, non-melting cheese used in South Asian cuisines. Look for it in the packaged cheese section or deli section of grocery stores or specialty food stores. You can substitute fresh farmers’ cheese (queso fresco) or halloumi.
Vegan Variation: To make this stew vegan, omit the paneer and use extra-firm tofu or add another can of chickpeas.
|Nutritional Information (per serving)|
|Vitamin A||39%||Vitamin C||93%|
*The percentage of calcium is based on the Osteoporosis Canada’s daily calcium requirement for people under 50 years of age of 1000 mg.
Osteoporosis Canada’s position on nutrition for healthy bones focuses on calcium and vitamin D while stressing a well-balanced diet which includes fiber and whole grains, vitamins and minerals and protein.
Best of Bridge Comfort Food,
Published by Robert Rose 2019