If you like a kick of spice then be sure to add the Thai chili pepper to these easy to eat noodles. Sweet and juicy pineapple is a wonderful balance with tender stir-fried beef.
- 1 lb (454 g) striploin or top sirloin steak
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 Thai chili pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 8 oz (250 g) rice stick noodles (pad Thai noodles)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fish or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red thai curry paste
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh or canned pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh mint (optional)
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) julienned cucumber
- Hoisin sauce (optional)
Slice steak as thinly as possible against the grain and place in bowl. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil, garlic, ginger, salt and chili pepper, if using and toss to coat; set aside.
Place noodles in a large bowl and cover with very hot water; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again and set aside.
Whisk together broth, lime juice, fish sauce and curry paste. Heat a large deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sear beef until browned and transfer to plate. Add remaining oil and sauté noodles for 1 minute. Add broth mixture and pineapple chunks; bring to a boil. Return beef to noodles and toss well to coat and heat through. Stir in cilantro leaves and mint, if using.
Transfer to serving platter and top with pepper and cucumber to serve. Drizzle with hoisin sauce if desired.
Sponsored by ThinkBeef
|Nutritional Information (per serving)|
The percentage of calcium is based on the Osteoporosis Canada’s daily calcium requirement for people under 50 years of age of 1000 mg.
Osteoporosis Canada’s position on nutrition for healthy bones focuses on calcium and vitamin D while stressing a well-balanced diet which includes fiber and whole grains, vitamins and minerals and protein.
For easier slicing freeze the steak for about 15 minutes to firm up. Use 5 mm wide rice stick noodles (medium width) for a wonderful texture and ease of cooking. This recipe can be gluten free if the beef broth and curry paste packaging indicates that the products are gluten free.